ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: Action Items from May 10

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: Action Items from May 10

  • From: Ron Thielen <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: Action Items from May 10
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 22:11:07 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Okay, I finally found something from Microsoft that verifies that 128 bit RC4 is what syskey uses for encryption.  There are lots of, what I considered to be, non-authoritative sources that said this, but most of the Microsoft documentation doesn’t get so specific.  Then I found a gem of a document “Addressing a Commercial Grade Operating System Security Functional Requirement Set with Windows Vista and Server 2008.”

This 518 page document sets out to demonstrate how Vista and Server 2008 can meet a set of security requirements for “commercial grade operating systems” that are drawn up from a variety of influences, including ISO 15408 CAPP, USGPP, SP 800-53, et al.  I haven’t dug through its entirety, but noted that it includes things like a section on FIPS 140-2 conformance.  I think we will want to spend some quality time with this paper.

For syskey, if we write alternative means for RC4, then someone could make a case that it suffices for the protection of stored secrets.

Ron