ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: Do Kerberos keys use variable salt?

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: Do Kerberos keys use variable salt?

  • From: Brian Arkills <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: Do Kerberos keys use variable salt?
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 17:24:48 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

BTW, if you want more technical info on RODCs and kvno, see this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2011/05/11/notes-on-kerberos-kvno-in-windows-rodc-environment.aspx.

From: Brian Arkills
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:22 AM
Subject: RE: Do Kerberos keys use variable salt?

You dig up  the most interesting documents, Jeff. :)

RODCs have only a subset of all accounts & passwords. And additionally, as you've noted RODCs issue tokens with a different version number than RWDCs (read-write DCs or what most folks just call DCs). That version number is only relevant because there is also another additional capability, namely account revocation checking at the session level. In other words, with vanilla Kerberos, once you have a TGT, you can get as many TGS tickets when you want, even if the underlying account is no longer valid. Microsoft has added additional checking such that prior to issuing a TGS, it checks to make sure that the TGT is still valid to be used to issue a TGS. If your RODC has been compromised, you can revoke its version number, which means that any token issued by that RODC can no longer be used to get a TGS. See 3.3.5.5.1 of that document for the revocation checking stuff. This is also covered in a cursory manner in section 5.1.3 (or at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd973899.aspx which is the same content as your link, but not in PDF format).

One thing this does bring to attention is that the account revocation checking features here are something we might reference in an alternative means write-ups. Those features are relevant whether you are using a RODC or a RWDC. I believe KILE is WS2012 DCs only though ... but I could be wrong about that.