ad-assurance - Re: [AD-Assurance] Applying FISMA to 800-63

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

Re: [AD-Assurance] Applying FISMA to 800-63

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [AD-Assurance] Applying FISMA to 800-63
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:00:54 -0700

We've been getting into a lot of details recently, and I'm afraid we may lose our way.  Stepping back a level or two, here's where I think we are:

  • The document we need to comply with is the InCommon IAP.  Other documents from Kantara, FIPS/NIST, etc. are useful for comparison, but we don't need to comply with them.
  • When thinking about potential alternative means proposals, we should be thinking about the intent of the IAP, not necessarily its specific wording.  As one of the IAP's authors, I can tell you that we might have said things that we didn't really mean.

Applying this thinking to the "requirements and gaps" matrix on the wiki ( https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/BA8wAg ), I think we need to address the following issues:

  • Credentials (passwords) used for Silver-level authentication must be protected wherever they are used.  We don't care about other credentials.  This is addressed in 4.2.3.4 (mitigated by full disk encryption), 4.2.3.5 and 4.2.3.6 (mitigated by elimination of insecure protocols and/or monitoring for their use), and 4.2.8.2.1 (I don't think we've identified a problem here).
  • Sessions between an IdMS and its Subjects in support of identification / registration / credentialing / authentication processes must resist replay and eavesdropping.  We don't care about other sessions.  This is addressed in 4.2.5.1 and 4.2.5.2.  While we know that RC4-HMAC is weaker than we'd like it to be, I still believe that it renders replay and eavesdropping "impractical."  I agree with Eric that this might become "practical" within a few years, but so might many of our technical mitigation strategies.  We can certainly provide information about where we think AD is marginal.

Sound reasonable?  It's fascinating to dive into all these standards documents in such detail, but I fear it may be distracting from our purpose.

(I do think, though, that we need to do some detail-level due diligence with Microsoft.  I'll send a separate note about that.)

David