ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: Questions for Microsoft?

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: Questions for Microsoft?

  • From: Brian Arkills <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: Questions for Microsoft?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:59:45 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ah, I stuck some of those links in the original InCommon AD cookbook:

  1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784130(WS.10).aspx
  2. http://users.tkk.fi/u/autikkan/kerberos/AIWSC03_kerberos_replay_attacks.pdf

But it looks like the 2nd link I had included--which describes how one could execute a MITM replay against Kerberos--is now dead. A replacement link for that is at: http://csis.bits-pilani.ac.in/faculty/sundarb/courses/old/spr06/netsec/evals/project/projrefs/kerb/AIWSC03_kerberos_replay_attacks.pdf

The paper suggests several possible mitigations. And note that the 1st link is one of the usual suggested mitigations, which the paper says is insufficient to protect against these attacks.

RFC 4120 describes a Kerberos pre-auth framework which can be used to protect the initial session key exchange. Microsoft implements this in WS12: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831747.aspx, and conveniently turning that support on is required for many of the WS12 features.