us-federations - Re: FedID - Getting an ID from source into a local IdP

Subject: US Federations Discussion

Re: FedID - Getting an ID from source into a local IdP

  • From: Joseph Giroux <>
  • To: David Walker <>
  • Cc: Matt Coombs <>, "" <>, Tim Calhoon <>
  • Subject: Re: FedID - Getting an ID from source into a local IdP
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:20:10 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:CC:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=r1IKro7sVwCKwSS5ircCRwxVdeegx7jz05sJPKYcAUz5nbvJZqUDvS9mNXUMx7ppq3c5nrFMYFkalav2mWsuB4CaUsgxaQNY/tChb1MpiHHB0amTx7DXrhUegx/nJzF5KP5pAAkSloRI+NBCon+VaDpySBBQ5MfqZVx1R5v6Q9w= ;

Thanks, David.  That gets us much closer.  I'll look for this in the IdP documentation.  Do you know anybody who has done this?

We need a central IdP because in some cases students will not yet be - or no longer be - enrolled at a particular institution.  Yes, it is potentially a little confusing but for most services the student doesn't need a college affiliation (eg. application to college).  We want to streamline the user experience by providing it at the college.  However, for a few they will need college affiliation (e.g. assessment - but in this case they might not even find the service without first being logged in through a college.)

Staff are a different matter.  For services in their role as staff members (they might also be students) we will require college affiliation.

-Joseph