technical-discuss - Re: [MACE-Dir] Re: [InC-Technical] default attribute release policy

Subject: InCommon Technical Discussions

Re: [MACE-Dir] Re: [InC-Technical] default attribute release policy

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>, Laura Paglione <>, MACE-Dir <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [MACE-Dir] Re: [InC-Technical] default attribute release policy
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 19:17:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 2017-06-08, 12:51,
"
on behalf of Cantor, Scott"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

> I do think it would
> be helpful to figure out how we get from where we are, to having
reliable,
> long-term identifiers that can be used for SSO account linking from
every IdP.
> If there is interest in this topic, I would be really excited to
participate in it. (Laura Paglione, ORCID)

+1

I think the generally correct answer(s) are becoming fairly clear. All of
them appear to be very hard to make happen due to lack of incentives, and so
that is the next challenge. To date, nothing's really been proposed because
of the seeming impossibility of making it happen.

Getting to the point of proposing change is a good first step, but it's
not the hard one.

In the end, I believe federation in the sense we want it will work for a
relatively small number of SPs and IdPs, and if that isn't sufficient scale,
then success will elude us.

-- Scott

The R&E federations will have to be involved in promoting the adoption of
any solution that emerges. I see that as the hard part. I can imagine
bringing a proposal to REFEDS to enlist their member federations’ help in
getting enough IdPs and SPs to adopt the solution to make a dent in the
original problem.

My point in the earlier email is that this is a problem that will just go
away eventually as fewer and fewer science SPs attempt to federate with
campus IdPs. But that will leave those IdPs increasingly irrelevant to the
research-mission-related SPs (I explicitly include ORCID).

Are there people interested in helping put such a proposal together and
pitching it to the inter-federation community?

-- Keith H