subject-id-guidance-wg - Re: Asynchronous work - IDP guidance

Subject: InCommon SAML Subject Identifiers Deployment Guidance Working Group

Re: Asynchronous work - IDP guidance

  • From: "" <>
  • To: "Morgan, Andrew J" <>
  • Cc: "Jones, Mark B" <>, IAM David Bantz <>,
  • Subject: Re: Asynchronous work - IDP guidance
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 14:40:53 -0800

Sunday musings…

Near term goal IMO should be rapid adoption of samlSubjectID as good practice for new SP-IdP integrations, replacing reliance on ePPN, uid, mail or other common choices.

Revising release policies for existing integrations at this point would be a very difficult sell IMO; hard for me to imagine many SPs or IdPs devoting resources to that. Perhaps at some future time when widely deployed with track record of avoiding issues of other identifiers.

If we do want to include transition advice, first topic would be screening questions to determine which integrations merit the pain of revising attribute release and consumption policies. And that screening would have to consider at least existing identifiers uid and mail and nameID in Subject as well as ePPN, IMO.

David.Bantz@Alaska.edu