per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] TLS private keys and CDNs

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] TLS private keys and CDNs

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] TLS private keys and CDNs
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 09:56:56 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:onsysBz/9632rUTXCy+O+j09IxM/srCxBDY+r6Qd0uMWIJqq85mqBkHD//Il1AaPBtqLra8fwLOL+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6aj2O/9wESGwnycE9cbqSwQ9aKzpf/6+fnr4XeeUBFgia8faJaLRO9qgDUsc9QhpFtfPUf0BzM91dBZeVajVxhIVGehV6o6ti5+J1u6QxRve4s7chNTf+8cqglG+8LRA86Onw4sZW4/SLIShGCsz5FCj0b

(Probably off-topic, but I don't see why, in concept, multiple CDN nodes couldn't share the same HSMs and host names.  There would probably need to be multiple certs per host name, one per HSM, but they'd all be signed by the same CA.  Using TPMs in the CDN nodes is a good idea, as it reduce overhead, but I think it otherwise has the same security properties of an HSM for this use case.)

Anyway, the point is that we (Ops) should see what the CDN providers have to say before making a final decision about key management.  FYI, I also like the idea someone had last week about using short-lived certs in the CDN that are signed by a well-advertised, long-lived CA.  That would at least limit the duration of our exposure to a compromised key.

David