per-entity - [Per-Entity] HTTPS transport and TLS trust

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

[Per-Entity] HTTPS transport and TLS trust

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Per-Entity] HTTPS transport and TLS trust
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 08:40:00 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:ZcrM5hJ4MSWaTct0/dmcpTZWNBhigK39O0sv0rFitYgXLPjxwZ3uMQTl6Ol3ixeRBMOAtKIC1rGd6v2ocFdDyKjCmUhKSIZLWR4BhJdetC0bK+nBN3fGKuX3ZTcxBsVIWQwt1Xi6NU9IBJS2PAWK8TXhpQIVTw3yL094IPj0Bp/6jsK80OW3/JuVZB9H1xSnZrYnFx6xsRmZlc4MiI1uI+5l0RjOuHJOd+1+ymZhJFbVlBH5sJTjtKV/+jhd7qpyv/VLVr/3Kvw1

Hello,

Some InCommon Participants would like to be able to configure
their Microsoft ADFS service(s) to consume InCommon metadata
for specific entities using HTTPS as the transport and the TLS
trust model.

An InCommon MDQ service that used HTTPS (in addition to HTTP)
would facilitate that request.

The above is one (1) argument in favor of adding HTTPS
transport and TLS trust for the InCommon MDQ service.

Are there other arguments in favor?

My understanding is that the InCommon TAC in particular has
had objections in the past to serving any InCommon metadata
that *relies* on the TLS trust model.

Can someone familiar with that objection (Scott C or Tom S or
Nick R or ?) provide more details, or correct my understanding
if I am wrong?

What other objections are there to serving InCommon metadata
using the TLS trust model?

Thanks,

Scott K