oidc-deploy - proposed focus for oidc-deploy; jan-mar 2019

Subject: OIDC Deployment Working Group

proposed focus for oidc-deploy; jan-mar 2019

  • From: Nathan Dors <>
  • To:
  • Subject: proposed focus for oidc-deploy; jan-mar 2019
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 08:28:12 -0800
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:+5O41REa1aGH9Y/E23LWCJ1GYnF86YWxBRYc798ds5kLTJ78psiwAkXT6L1XgUPTWs2DsrQY07qQ6/iocFdDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBXdrXKo8DEdBAj0OxZrKeTpAI7SiNm82/yv95HJbAhEmDmwbaluIBmqsA7cqtQYjYx+J6gr1xDHuGFIe+NYxWNpIVKcgRPx7dqu8ZBg7ipdpesv+9ZPXqvmcas4S6dYDCk9PGAu+MLrrxjDQhCR6XYaT24bjwBHAwnB7BH9Q5fxri73vfdz1SWGIcH7S60/VDK/5KlpVRDokj8KODE5/m/ZicJ+kbxVrw66qhNl34LZepuYOOZicq7fe94RWGpPXtxWVyxEGo6yd5EAD/YBPelCqYn2ulUArRykBQm3GejizSJHhnjs3a0hyOkhDA/H0BY+EN0TrXTZtdP4P7oRX+Ct1KTE0DrOY+9M1Tvg54XEbAotre+CUL9/a8bd1EsiGgPdglmOtYDoOymZ2+cNvmSB8eZsSeGih3Qlpg1spDWk290ihZPTho0Pz1DJ7SV5z5gxJd2/UEN7ZNGlEJxNtyGGKYd7QtkuQ3pytCYnxLwKo4C0czUXyJg/xh7fbeKIc5SQ7x7+W+udPS10iG9qdb6hnRq+70atx+LmWsWp0ltHrjJJktzWuXAM0xzT5NKHSvx4/kq5xDmP0BrT6vpfLEApm6vXMYAuzaMtlpYLq0TMAjf2mFnqjK+Rbkgk++6o5PjgYrXjo5+cMIl0hhv5MqQ0lcyzGOM4MgkTUGeH4OizyaPs/VX9QLVNjvw7ia3ZsJHBJcQHva61HRVZ0ocl6xajETimytIYkmcbLF5bYh6IkZXmO0ydaMz/WPC+j1/pnDpzw/fXFrznCZLIK3/F1rD7cuVT8UlZnSw60dBW4dp4DasaaKb/XVXqnMHHSBI1LlrnkK7cFNxh29ZGCiq0CaiDPfaKvA==

What do folks on the list think about contributing to a deployment guide for the GÉANT OIDC extension to the Shibboleth IdP, as a focus for early 2019?

On the last few WG calls we reflected on possible work directions for the first part of the year, and folks agreed that a practical near-term need exists for guidance for IdP operators testing, deploying, and using the GÉANT OIDC extension for use by various types of relying parties: everyday web-based apps, but also perhaps single page applications, native mobile and desktop apps, and apps with more limited interfaces like command-line apps. Possibly others too.

Sites testing the OIDC extension have an interest in such a guide, and therefore may be willing to contribute to it, either in the form of content or review and feedback. I know the team here at UWash is interested.

The mechanics of the guidemaking need to be sorted out, and coordinated with Janne, Henri, Shib Dev, et al., and the overall shift in focus needs support from sponsoring bodies like InCommon TAC, CACTI, and other stakeholders... but first, what do you think? Is this the right re-focus?

I know there are a lot of other topics related to OIDC and OAuth that we could cover - indeed, almost too many to cover in a reasonable timeframe - so how about we focus on successful integration of OIDC into IdPs, and then see what makes sense to do next.

-Nathan