metadata-support - RE: [Metadata-Support] RE: OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation

Subject: InCommon metadata support

RE: [Metadata-Support] RE: OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Metadata-Support] RE: OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:43:23 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

> You are correct in noting the library case, and it is mostly international,
> where
> budgets are often by department/faculty, motivating international
> institutions to license content from us to smaller sub units of the whole
> institution, but also want simultaneous authentication and authorization for
> their users against the main campus in the same handshake as they are
> authenticating against, say, the math department.

Yes, that's exactly the holy grail all this was meant to solve but here in
the US it didn't materialize, so the formalism for it never happened. We
weren't willing to just stake out a lot of theoretical approaches nobody was
using and inevitably get stuff wrong.

All that said, I think scopes (in the eduPerson sense) are a much more likely
direction for this than anything else I can think of, or if you take the
entitlement view, there's always just custom entitlements.

Perhaps this problem can be recast more along the lines of the WebAssign
approach to dealing with courses and sections, in which the groupings are an
application concept that the librarians in this case would enter
campus-specific entitlement values to map users into.

Either way, this can't get done without the campus IDM teams' involvement,
and that's a much bigger problem than deciding what goes into an attribute at
most places. When nobody's willing to play ball, the rules don't matter.

> Appreciate your input. Spencer Thomas says hello and will be excited to be
> delving back into programming against the possibilities rather than a
> standard
> protocol.

I would suggest that this probably needs to be a REFEDS conversation since
that's where the gravity is for these use cases.

-- Scott