metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation

  • From: Brian Larsen <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] OrgID vs. ScopedAffiliation
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:20:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Apologies for the naivety of this question in advance.

As an SP, we are now beginning the pilot phase of supporting the
differentiation between IdP and sub-units (departments, faculties, etc.) and
simultaneous auth/auth to both entities.

Our initial expectation was that this information should be passed as
EntityID = institution, OrgId = sub unit. But, in at least one case, we are
seeing this distinction made in the ScopedAffiliation. So…

AND

Could someone with experience in this space point me at some best practices
documentation and/or set me straight on this issue? Should both means of
differentiation be expected and supported?

I feel like I am missing something obvious here, so please be kind.

Best,

BRIAN LARSEN
Associate Director, Support Services
ITHAKA
734 887.7031
<mailto:>

ITHAKA is a not-for-profit organization that helps the academic community use
digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research
and teaching in sustainable ways. ITHAKA provides three innovative services
that benefit the academic community: JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R.