metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] Re: Occasional problem with InCommon metadata refreshes

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] Re: Occasional problem with InCommon metadata refreshes

  • From: Brian Koehmstedt <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: " >> \"\"" <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] Re: Occasional problem with InCommon metadata refreshes
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:58:41 -0700

On 6/26/2014 5:15 PM, Cantor, Scott wrote:
On 6/26/14, 4:20 PM, "Brian Koehmstedt"

When this happens, Shib IdP appears to me to act like it has loaded a
0-byte InCommon metadata file, where it doesn't find any InCommon SP
metadata.
That's never happened to me, ever, so I have to think it's something
environmental. I've seen it once in maybe 3 years actually stop
refreshing, which some other people have reported, but I've never had it
dump the valid copy.

Thanks Scott. This morning I switched to the HTTP-backed metadata provider as you and Tom recommended.

Again I had problems that were almost identical to what I originally reported. The log reports successful metadata load from md.incommon.org, but then none of the Incommon services worked and I had to back out the change and restart. After I did that, it worked again.

Totally perplexing. I'm starting to suspect environment as well but I have (almost) zero proof that anything is wrong with the infrastructure.

One thing I did just notice on my test VM that's almost identical to production: After I restarted with http-backed provider, I did a directory listing on the backing file, and it was indeed 0 bytes. I did it a couple minutes later, and it was 10MB. Ok, no big deal, it was probably just downloading still when I did the first dir listing and noticed the 0 byte file.

But I better confirm with you: If it takes the IdP say X number of seconds to download that 10MB, would I normally expect to see a 0-byte backing file while it's downloading? Or is this evidence something environmental is wrong with the filesystem?