metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: connection to metadata refused

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: connection to metadata refused

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Cc: "" <>, David Bantz <>, Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: connection to metadata refused
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:25:23 -0400

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Cantor, Scott
> On 3/27/14, 3:15 PM, "Tom Scavo"
> <>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM, David Bantz
>><>
>> wrote:
>>> http:///md.incommon.org/InCommon/InCommon-metadata.xml
>>
>>Typo. Note the three contiguous slashes toward the beginning of the URL.
>
> My mistake, but I'm surprised that would fail, actually. Java being Java I
> guess.

There's not enough info in David's stacktrace to know what Java's doing.

Three slashes implies no host name part, so it depends on how the
client handles default hostnames. Curl, for example, fails outright
since it can't resolve the null host:

$ curl http:///md.incommon.org/InCommon/InCommon-metadata.xml
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: http; nodename nor servname
provided, or not known

Not too surprising, I guess.