metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] Metadata file size

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] Metadata file size

  • From: "Schwoerer, Bradley J" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] Metadata file size
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:32:44 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I was reworking our local metadata file generation script and part of it was
to do some xml tidy type tasks. As I was working through the generation of
our local file, I had decided to use the incommon federation metadata file as
a sanity check. After comparing the input and output files for the incommon
metadata, I did notice an almost 500KB (7% reduction) in file size. This
was mostly from just doing all of the xmlns:* declarations at the
EntitiesDescriptor node and removing all of the duplicates declarations.
Just because it piqued my interest, I was looking to see if I could do
further reduction. With removing the two spaces used for indention and just
leaving the newline, it reduced it another 500KB.

I am not sure how many times per day the metadata file is downloaded, but I
thought I would bring it to someones attention of the potential savings in
bandwidth by making a few changes to the generated metadata file.

-Bradley