metadata-support - RE: [Metadata-Support] setting up new signing certificate and new metadata aggregates in Shibboleth IdP version

Subject: InCommon metadata support

RE: [Metadata-Support] setting up new signing certificate and new metadata aggregates in Shibboleth IdP version

  • From: "Doan, Tommy" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Metadata-Support] setting up new signing certificate and new metadata aggregates in Shibboleth IdP version
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:41:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Thanks for that tip!

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:]
On Behalf Of Tom Scavo
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:18 PM

Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] setting up new signing certificate and new
metadata aggregates in Shibboleth IdP version

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Brian Gibson
> Everything went according to plan as mentioned in my original email.

As a slight improvement, I recommend a 14 day maxValidityInterval (instead of
28):

maxValidityInterval="P14D"

We decreased the value of the validUntil XML attribute on InCommon metadata
from 28 to 14 some time ago (but I forgot to modify the wiki page). I just
now updated the wiki:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/XAQjAQ

There is some security benefit to having a tight validUntil. The smaller the
value, the less opportunity for an attacker to replay an old metadata file.

FYI, I believe the optimal value of validUntil is around four (4) days. We
will have to automate portions of our metadata production process before
reducing validUntil further, however.