md-distro - [md-distro] UKf metadata breaks simpleSAMLphp metadata refresh process

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

[md-distro] UKf metadata breaks simpleSAMLphp metadata refresh process

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [md-distro] UKf metadata breaks simpleSAMLphp metadata refresh process
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 06:49:55 -0500

You may have heard that UKf is now publishing eduGAIN metadata in
production, which of course increases the size of the UKf metadata
aggregate. (I'll let Ian report on the specifics.) Related to this,
Dick Visser reported on the simpleSAMLphp mailing list this morning
that his UKf metarefresh process failed, the root cause being not
enough memory allocated to the metarefresh process. You can read his
account of what happened towards the end of this mailing list thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/simplesamlphp/b6fTf53iq4w

We've been talking a lot about metadata aggregates and per-entity
metadata in this WG, so I thought you might find this story
interesting. Personally, I'm taking it as a wake-up call. Metadata
aggregates can't continue to grow without bound. We need to find a
better way.