interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 18 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 18 notes

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 18 notes
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:35:28 +0100

On 18 Jun 2013, at 21:46, "Basney, Jim"

> MDRPI work is a pre-requisite for eduGAIN work?

Just one item I forgot to bring up on the call.

Yes, the eduGAIN metadata profile requires the presence of MDRPI metadata at
both the aggregate and entity level, so adding MDRPI metadata is a
prerequisite to sending metadata to eduGAIN. It's not a prerequisite for
*joining* eduGAIN, however, or for consuming the eduGAIN aggregate in some
way (although that's much less useful if you aren't sending metadata upstream
as well).

The other thing that was mentioned was the relationship of this to
registration practice statements, and I think I heard someone saying that an
RPS was a prerequisite to MDRPI. This is *not* the case for eduGAIN, as a
policy reference in metadata is *optional* in both the MDRPI specification
and in the eduGAIN profile. eduGAIN participants are (separately) required
to have a published RPS, which is referenced by the eduGAIN status page, but
this (observably) doesn't need to be very detailed and it need not be
referenced in metadata.

of detailed registration practice statement we've been talking about in
InCommon/UK discussions.

-- Ian