interfed - [inc-interfed] InCommon-UK interfed

Subject: Interfederation

[inc-interfed] InCommon-UK interfed

  • From: Jim Basney <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [inc-interfed] InCommon-UK interfed
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:02:40 -0500

Hi group,

Reminder that we have a call in 1 hour. Coordinates at
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/incinterfed.

I propose two agenda items for today:

* Next steps for LIGO SP pilot
* Roadmap for InCommon-UK "production interfederation"

Happy to include other items if you'd like.

I think we're getting good traction with the LIGO SP + Cardiff IdP use
case. Scott Koranda and I talked this morning, and he expects to have
time to make some more progress on it later this week, so we started
thinking about next steps after that. There are additional UK IdPs that
would be useful for LIGO to federate with, particularly: Sheffield,
Birmingham, Cambridge, and Glasgow. Checking the UK federation
Inter-federation Trials FAQ [1], I don't see those IdPs on the list. Not
sure if that means expanding our pilot effort to include those IdPs will
be difficult. Let's discuss.

Besides pressing ahead with the LIGO pilot project, I'd like to develop
a draft roadmap for "production" InCommon SP + UK IdP interfederation
(whatever we decide that means). Let's focus on what would need to
happen and for the moment ignore when or how. I think the list includes:

* InCommon giving official permission to UK to pull SP info from
InCommon metadata.

* An opt-in process for InCommon SPs to be included in the
UK export aggregate.

I'm sure there are more items on the list (and even clarifications to
the above two items), so I'd appreciate your help in filling out this
roadmap. I wonder if InCommon joining eduGAIN needs to be on the roadmap
for UK interfed, or if we can keep eduGAIN as a separate concern. And
apologies in advance if Ian or someone else has already documented a
roadmap like this somewhere.

-Jim

[1] http://www.ukfederation.org.uk/content/Documents/InterfederationTrialFAQ