inc-lib-usecase - Re: [InC-Lib-UseCase] draft outline, InC-Lib use case -- bedtime story.....

Subject: Defining Use Cases for Federating Library Services

Re: [InC-Lib-UseCase] draft outline, InC-Lib use case -- bedtime story.....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • Cc: inc-lib-usecase <>
  • Subject: Re: [InC-Lib-UseCase] draft outline, InC-Lib use case -- bedtime story.....
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:20:17 -0400

There are three articles she has to read -- she clicks the link for
each one, and is taken directly to articles at Elsevier, EBSCO, and
JSTOR.
Q: Am I correct that this implies that all three services support deep
links that include 'WAYFless' syntax for the interaction to be seemless?

Dave Kennedy (now of Duke) demonstrated this with EBSCO in Phase 1 of this effort. You're right -- there's no WAYF involved, and the Shibboleth SP implementation used by EBSCO also selects and uses a protocol supported by both the SP and the IdP value that has been forwarded to it.

Q: How did MedLine know which 'her campus' was?
It does that today ... this is nothing new... the librarians should answer this -- I'll undoubtedly get the answer wrong

Q: Again... how does XXX site know the WAYF info?
there are several ways for her to get there without encountering a WAYF ... eg via a navigation page maintained by campus library staff

eg brown provides many pages like this:

http://rl3tp7zf5x.search.serialssolutions.com/?V=1.0&L=RL3TP7ZF5X&S=T_AZ&C=E&SS_searchTypeAll=yes&N=250&B=250