fir-us - Feedback on SirTfi draft

Subject: Federated Incident Response

Feedback on SirTfi draft

  • From: Keith Hazelton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Feedback on SirTfi draft
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:25:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Some collective feedback from UW-Madison on the SirTfi draft:

We responded to this positioning ourselves primarily in the role of IdP. Some of the terminology was not easy to translate to our world, for example DITI was a challengingly abstract term and the glossary did not include a definition of claims processor which came up in a couple sections of the draft.

We looked over each of the six operational areas:

- Operational Security

The draft suggested a four-level self-rating for how well an organization meets each specific requirement within the six operational areas. In our IdP and its supporting environment, we have different segments of users that fall under different procedures. Each segment might get a different rating for requirements OS1 to OS4. More loosely affiliated users might rate a 0 on OS1, the general NetID population might be at 1; but only identified sub-populations might reach level 2, depending on the ID proofing and single (or multiple) credentials issued. Basically it would not be possible for us to give a meaningful single rating to the operational security requirements.  It seems it will be necessary to specify for a given user and given session a level of assurance that would imply one of the four levels.

On requirement OS2, around patching, it seems that 'verified, recorded and communicated to the appropriate contacts' sets a high bar.

- Incident Response

Our roadmap includes support for authentication via external providers (Google, Twitter, etc.) through a campus-level gateway. If such externally authenticated users access federated services, there are any number of challenges around security incident responses. Again, it seems that minimally SPs will need authentication context information that will allow them to determine whether they want to accept a given provider's assertion or not.

One approach under consideration at UW-Madison is to carry stub identity records for federated (including external AuthN providers') users. If we become aware of a compromised credential of this kind, we can't 'turn it off' at the source, but we can break the link to the internal user record, giving us a means to head off access by those users to SPs.

- Traceability

TR1: Who is in a position to release what? We can't get logs from Google & FB; language is fairly general in this draft, seems like it will eventually at least need to spell out minimum retention period; Locale at which user registration took place could also be an important item of information.

TR3: Re identifying users: The bare logs won't suffice: AD GUIDs won't do the log recipient any good; To go beyond that imposes a significant work load on the IdP side.

- Participant Responsibilities

PRU1: we have AUP for NetID holders; but with social credentials, how do we catch & deliver AUP;

PRC3: Legal staff come down firmly against implications that we're liable for behavior of individual users. SPs, of course, retain rights to discontinue access to an individual or group to protect integrity of service for others.

- Legal/Management Issues

The statement leading into the individual requirements sets a high bar with the language '...policies and procedures appropriately communicated to all participants, that address legal issues including but not limited to...'

LI2: The focus on making participants aware of their obligations is a sound one (compare with our comments on PRC3 above).

- Protection and processing of Personal Data/Personally Identifiable Information

Lots of jurisdictional sticky wickets in this area.

In general we recognize the significant challenge of establishing a trust framework that can function in an international context. But we found ourselves wondering whether there were ways to leverage well-defined existing frameworks, PCI, FISMA and others.  Granted that this would likely mean different reference points for the US, EU, etc. The reference to the Traffic Light Protocol in the Incident Response section of this draft is one example of this kind of approach.

       -- Tom Jordan(IAM), Jeff Savoy (security), Keith Hazelton (architecture)