assurance - Re: [Assurance] Question about entropy calculator

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Question about entropy calculator

  • From: Dana Watanabe <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Question about entropy calculator
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 06:07:14 -0700

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Yates, Bry-Ann L <> wrote:

Hello,

The University at Albany is working toward our Bronze Assurance.  We are currently trying to determine what password settings we would have to implement in order to reach the right entropy level using the calculator. <https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCAssurance/Password+Entropy+Calculators

3.       A lockout for 10 min, which we are entering as .6

10 minuets would actually be 0.166666667, but entering "=1/6" is probably easier.  (Or "=10/60") for number of minute in a hour.
(Of course just going with .17 or even rounding up to .2 doesn't change the acceptable length, but getting up to .6 does.)

This makes row 24, column F (length) and K (LOA2) green, but leaves column J(LOA1) orange.  I believe LOA1 needs to be green for Bronze, is that correct?

If i'm reading it right, LOA1 is always orange.  This is so on the left, you can see the orange background for password lengths that fit LOA1 and then green is are the lengths that satisfy LOA2.

Red is for meeting neither.

Thanks for asking about this.  I didn't know that was up there.  That's a handy tool.