assurance - RE: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?

  • From: Brian Arkills <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:36:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Jacob has some really good points here.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fms27/papers/2012-BonneauHerOorSta-password--oakland.pdf
is something the MFA consortium has taken a look at. On page 11, you'll find
a table with a variety of "web authentication schemes" that include MFA ones.
Each of those is evaluated across a broad spectrum of potential benefits. One
of those benefits is 'resilient-to-phishing'. Via their analysis, not all of
them have the benefit, but some do. There's quite a bit of detail on their
methodology, and to dig deeper, there's an extended version of the paper.

I know Tom Scavo spent some time extending that table to additional specific
MFA solutions and benefits. Betsy Burton (Garner's EA analyst) also had some
work built on top of that paper that she described in a presentation to the
MFA cohortium.

Anyhow, I bring up this paper because it takes the time to define a
methodology and define what they mean, so everyone has a common
understanding. For example, their definition of 'resilient-to-phishing' is:

"Resilient-to-Phishing: An attacker who simulates
a valid verifier (including by DNS manipulation)
cannot collect credentials that can later be used
to impersonate the user to the actual verifier. This
penalizes schemes allowing phishers to get victims
to authenticate to lookalike sites and later use
the harvested credentials against the genuine sites.
It is not meant to penalize schemes vulnerable
to more sophisticated real-time man-in-the-middle
or relay attacks, in which the attackers have one
connection to the victim prover (pretending to be
the verifier) and simultaneously another connection
to the victim verifier (pretending to be the prover)."

So they separate it from the MITM and relay attacks which I note that Scott
Cantor is including in this thread.