assurance - Re: [Assurance] Counting Failed Logins Update

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Counting Failed Logins Update

  • From: Brendan Bellina <>
  • To: "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Counting Failed Logins Update
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 19:10:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Joe,

I think these DOS points are well-taken and have raised them myself with
auditors and such who don't seem to take this risk seriously. Since
University account logins are usually obvious and systems are public we are
at greater risk than corporations where account logins are not obvious and
systems are not public.

One way to thwart brute force attacks without adversely affecting account
owners is to exponentially slow down the responses to bad password attempts,
rather than all password attempts. There is no need to lock out the account
in this case. This also prevents the accidental lockouts that would be
caused by the "hyperactive email checkers" you refer to.

Regards,

Brendan Bellina
USC ITS IdM Mgr

On Jun 21, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Joe St Sauver