assurance - [Assurance] RE: Approved Encryption algorithms?

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] RE: Approved Encryption algorithms?

  • From: "Rowe, Ken" <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [Assurance] RE: Approved Encryption algorithms?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:47:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Since InCommon is focused on federation to meet Federal requirements, I would interpret 1.2 to mean NIST-approved.

 http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-133/sp800_133.pdf , dated November 2012, defines “approved” as “FIPS-approved and/or NIST-recommended.”

It really encompasses both algorithm and key length.

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-131A/sp800-131A.pdf , dated January 2011, is probably the definitive reference for approved cryptography.

Hope that helps.

Ken.