assurance - Re: [Assurance] remote proofing

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] remote proofing

  • From: Ann West <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] remote proofing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

Lisa,

You've probably seen the wiki page that folks started on this topic:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCAssurance/Remote-Proofing+Approaches

From our discussion, most sites aren't using remote proofing as you describe it, but are pursing either delegated in-person proofing like Nick's or Mark's example  or remote in-person proofing (if that makes sense) like Michael's suggestion.

On our last call, there was some concern about whether delegated in-person proofing was acceptable to the Federal Government, and I have verified that it is.  BTW, I noticed Kantara allows sites to be certified for a portion of a profile, such as the identity proofing processes. Hmmm....

Best,
Ann

For Silver certification:

Remote proofing (4.2.2.4.3.2):  ‘The RA verifies other information provided by the Subject using both of the ID numbers [government ID number and either a second government ID number or a financial account number] through record checks either with the applicable agency or institution or through credit bureaus or similar databases and confirms that: name, date of birth, and other personal information in records are on balance consistent with the application and sufficient to identify a unique individual.  If this appears to be the case, the RA authorizes issuance of Credentials.’

How are you, at your institutions,  performing  the record checking with ‘applicable agency or institution or through credit bureaus or similar databases’?

And does your institution’s solution work for remote proofing of non-U.S. individuals?

-          Lisa

Lisa Campeau

Team Leader, Identity Management Information

     and System Operations

Data Administration - Admin Information Technologies

University of Pennsylvania