assurance - Re: [Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs

  • From: "Martin B. Smith" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:01:07 -0400

On 04/19/2012 12:53 PM, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Martin B. Smith wrote:

It seems like always asserting an assurance/IAQ value as our
authncontext class means we lose almost all of the value of
authncontext classes, especially when the IAQs don't imply anything
about how the principal authenticated to the attribute authority.

As far as I can tell you have campus SPs that are using the ForceAuthn
control in the AuthnRequest, and are wondering how that works with IAQs.
Or are you using locally-defined AuthnContext classes? If it's just
about ForceAuthn, I don't see that these are in conflict. SPs can ask
for ForceAuthn as they always have, and they remain in the position of
trusting that the IdP has honored that control.

Hi Bob,

The advice I've usually seen about ForceAuthn in an AuthnRequest is that SPs should check both the AuthnContext (to be sure the method 'forced' was acceptable) and the AuthnInstant (to be sure the authentication happened within some tolerance for 'recent').

It sounds like we should switch that advice now to say, "just check the AuthnInstant." Originally, we were also dealing with SIDP-343:

https://issues.shibboleth.net/jira/browse/SIDP-343

See the comment at "03/Sep/09 3:41 PM" there. It's also related to my original post here. Now we're on an IdP release where SIDP-343 is resolved, so I think we just need to advise folks to check only the AuthnInstant now.

Thanks all,
--
Martin B. Smith

- (352) 273-1374