assurance - RE: [Assurance] OpenAFS - AD

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] OpenAFS - AD

  • From: "Roy, Nicholas S" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] OpenAFS - AD
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:19:15 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi Chris,

My take on it is that the acceptability of using DES to encrypt passwords for
credentials you plan to use for Silver is up to your interpretation of the
term "industry standard algorithm" in the IAP document. Version 1.1 of the
IAP uses this language when discussing acceptable encryption algorithms.
Version 1.0 of the document refers to algorithms that are "FIPS recommended
or NIST approved," which I don't believe allows DES, but I could be wrong.
In any case, you're probably better off assessing it against version 1.1 of
the IAP document, but you might want to talk to your auditor about their
interpretation of "industry standard" in this context.

Nick