assurance - [Assurance] Assurance Update: January 2012

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] Assurance Update: January 2012

  • From: Ann West <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Assurance] Assurance Update: January 2012
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:40:15 -0500 (EST)

Happy New Year!

Hello all and welcome back.

We've been working hard on the Assurance Program over the last several
months.
It's time for a community update:

- Application Process - Some of you have asked what to expect, and we're
still pointing folks to the IAAF section 4 for information on what you'll
need to send us to be certified. You'll also include a Data Sheet that will
give us basic information like the entity ids that you'd like certified,
requested profile(s), etc. And no worries, we're also developing an
easy-to-read summary of the program submission process.

- Technical InterOp - As you may know, we'll be using SAML's AuthnContext to
request and send the Assurance Qualifier. Scott Cantor and Tom Scavo, as well
as CILogon's Jim Basney and Terry Fleury have developed an initial draft of
over-the-wire behavior for IdPs and SPs. We'll be testing and refining it
further this month with the Community InterOp Team. You can review the draft
on the Assurance wiki:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/InCAssurance/InCommon+Assurance+Program
as well as two case studies from our last testing, thanks to Virginia Tech
and UW-Milwaukee.

- Legal Agreement - We're also finalizing the legal agreement and getting
community feedback on that. The agreement will also be reviewed by the
federal Identity, Credential, and Access Management Program as part of our
compliance to becoming a fully approved Federal Trust Framework Provider.

- Assurance Advisory Committee (AAC) - The AAC (an advisory committee of the
InCommon Steering Committee) will be the group reviewing and making
recommendations to Steering regarding applications for certifications. In
December, the Steering Committee approved the group's charter and roster, and
this week, I will begin inviting community members to serve.

- Implementation Guidance - Once certified, we'll be asking you to post a
publicly-readable (anonymized?) version of your practices on the Assurance
wiki for others to view. Currently, we're gathering planning documents and
approaches. If you have something that you'd like to contribute, just let us
know.

- Pricing.

As you you can see, there are a number of things we need to wrap up before we
start the certification process. As a result, we'll be opening our doors
during the first part of February. Looking forward to seeing your
application there!

Best,
Ann

--