assurance - [Assurance] AD DS Technical Documentation

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] AD DS Technical Documentation

  • From: Cynthia Haselton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Assurance] AD DS Technical Documentation
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:36:42 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

The best resources I have found so far for AD DS technical information are the Microsoft TechNet Planning, Architecture and Deployment guides.  The Operations guides are useful as well.

The design guides for 2008 AD DS can be found here:

AD DS Design Guide

RODC Planning and Deployment

The Operations guide can be found here:

Administering AD DS

I understand that the cookbook will cover only 2008/2008 R2 AD DS, however I’ll include the following links for those who still run 2003 Active Directory Services:

Designing and Deploying Directory Services

The above link is to a page that also contains links to guides for design and deployment of directory-related secure services, including PKI services.

Deploying Network Services

The above link is to a page that contains links to design and deployment guides for IPsec, IAS (Microsoft’s version of RADIUS) and wireless.  The guides contain information on securing the aforementioned services.

Cynthia Haselton

University of Chicago

ITS/DCS

e: