announce - [InCommon] InCommon Update - April 2015

Subject: News and information about InCommon Academy offerings

[InCommon] InCommon Update - April 2015

  • From: Dean Woodbeck <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [InCommon] InCommon Update - April 2015
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:38:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

EMAIL LOOKING ODD? VIEW IT IN YOUR BROWSER
InCommonInCommon Update

APRIL 2015

Follow us on Facebook FRIEND US ON FACEBOOK

TwitterFOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Internet2

INCOMMON IS OPERATED BY INTERNET2

May 13 IAM Online Features Use of External Identities

The May IAM Online (May 13, 2015, at 2 pm ET) will feature a discussion of the use of external identities, including gateways, account linking, and campus case studies. Speakers include Eric Goodman (University of California President's Office and chair of the InCommon External Identities Working Group), Dedra Chamberlin (CEO of Cirrus Identity), and Todd Haddaway (identity management at UMBC). See additional information and connection coordinates.

Registration Closing Soon for May Shibboleth Workshop; Additional Dates Announced

Plans are set for four  InCommon Shibboleth Installation Workshops during 2015, focusing on the new IdPv3. Dates and locations are:

  • May 14-15, 2015 - George Washington University Virginia Science and Technology Campus (near Dulles Airport) (registration open - closes May 6)
  • June 11-12, 2015 - OARnet offices in Columbus, Ohio (registration is open)
  • September 17-18 - DeAnza Community College, Cupertino, California (registration will open in June)
  • October 19-20 - University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas (registration will open in July)
InCommon Deploys "Registered by InCommon"
InCommon has deployed the "Registered by InCommon" category by adding an entity attribute to the metadata. As you might guess, it denotes that an identity provider or service provider was added to metadata through the InCommon registration process. This attribute will become important as InCommon becomes fully involved with eduGAIN, which is the international interfederation service. Joining eduGAIN will mean that InCommon will import metadata that includes entities registered by other federations.
Research & Scholarship Category Going International

The InCommon Research & Scholarship Category continues to grow and to plan for going international. There are 106 IdPs that support R&S and 34 services in the category. R&S allows an identity provider to release a small set of attributes to an entire category (including current and future services that qualify), simplifying attribute release. The latest service to join is the NCIP Hub, a collaboration platform provided by the National Cancer Informatics Platform.

During 2015, as InCommon moves to interfederation with membership in eduGAIN (see above), the federation will also support the Global R&S Category. We have published information on migrating to global R&S (Utah Valley University, Ohio State, Carnegie Mellon, and Internet2 already support Global R&S).

May 6 Assurance Discussion on Flexible Vetting

This month's  InCommon Assurance call will include a presentation on flexible vetting using a point system (an approach mentioned on last month's call - see the Adobe Connect archive if you are interested). Bert Bee-Lindgren and Jesse Rankin will describe the Georgia Tech system of flexible vetting for account activation and password reset. The second part of the call will feature a discussion, led by Assurance Advisory Committee Chair Jacob Farmer, on community feedback to NIST SP-800-63-2. Anyone is welcome to join on Wednesday, May 6 at noon ET. Go here for more details.

New Certificate Service Subscribers

The InCommon Certificate Service now has 321 subscribers. This service provides unlimited SSL, EV, client, and other certificates for all of your domains at one annual fee. This month, we welcome Weill Cornell Medical College to the community.

New InCommon Participants
InCommon currently has 716 participants. We welcome these new participants to the InCommon community.

Higher Education
Colorado College
Delaware Valley University
Manchester University
Norfolk State University
SUNY College at Brockport
Tuoro College
University of Bridgeport

Sponsored Partners
DLC Solutions
DecisionMapper Corporation
EvaluationKIT
Uprising Technology

As a service to the community, each month, we invite our new Research Organizations and Sponsored Partners to provide information about their services. These partners responded in time for this month's newsletter.

EthosCEEthosCE (from DLC Solutions) is an enterprise-level learning management system designed to create robust, easy-to-use, and cost-effective continuing education programs. Built within the Drupal framework, our strength of integration with legacy systems provides a way for clients to integrate, improve or phase-out, older systems and processes. We are excited to become a participant of InCommon, providing yet another way EthosCE can easily integrate with higher education. Our first implementation using InCommon will be with the University of Chicago to deliver and track continuing medical education (CME) credits for medical grand rounds. http://www.ethosce.com/

Evaluation KitEvaluationKIT is a leader in enterprise cloud-based course evaluation and survey software for higher education institutions. EvaluationKIT integrates with the leading Learning Management Systems in higher education and simplifies the course evaluation process with features designed to streamline the administration of student surveys across the entire institution. Students can conveniently complete their course evaluations from any device type, and with EvaluationKIT’s unique features designed to encourage student participation, institutions can achieve great response rates in their surveys. Administrators and faculty have automated access to results, and reports are packed with useful information to help manage course quality and empower institutions to make effective, relevant decisions. www.evaluationkit.com

Uprising TechnologyUprising Technology quickly and securely connects people with one another and your University. Our innovative combination of federated single sign on (SSO), record matching, and Google-like search with term extraction locates and unifies relevant information from hosted systems, cloud applications and social media, immediately increasing the effectiveness of alumni relations, fundraising, recruiting, IT, research and analytics teams. We do it all with existing systems - old or new - allowing you to gain benefit without costly upgrade projects or painful system conversions. Contact us to learn how Uprising's identity and search solution can be implemented in weeks, not years - creating an efficient experience for the entire organization. www.uprisingtech.com

  • [InCommon] InCommon Update - April 2015, Dean Woodbeck, 04/24/2015