announce - [InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - August 2013

Subject: News and information about InCommon Academy offerings

[InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - August 2013

  • From: Dean Woodbeck <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - August 2013
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:10:09 -0400

Title: InCommon Newsletter - August 2013

Is this email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
InCommon Update header

August 2013

Registration Open for Identity Week

Registration is now open for Identity Week, November 11-15, 2013, held in Burlingame, California, just south of San Francisco. The event, led by Internet2, will bring together the InCommon community, identity management technical implementers and architects, and U.S. and international leaders in the field of identity and access management.

InCommon Shibboleth Workshop Scheduled for Omaha, Nebraska

An InCommon Shibboleth Installation Workshop will take place in Omaha, Nebraska, October 21-22, 2013. The event is co-sponsored by the University of Nebraska. Registration will open in mid-August. A handful of spots are still available at the September 16-17 workshop in Portland, Oregon. These workshops provide an in-person, directed self-paced approach to installing the Shibboleth software.

InCommon Steering Minutes Available

The InCommon Steering Committee is responsible for providing oversight, and managing the business and affairs, of InCommon. To provide additional transparency, minutes from the Steering Committee meetings (which are biweekly) are now available on the InCommon Collaborate wiki.

New R&S Service Providers

The GPN/UM Dropoff Services has been approved as an InCommon Research & Scholarship Category service provider. R&S allows participating identity providers to release a minimal set of attributes to an entire group of approved services, rather than negotiating attribute release one-by-one. GPN/UM Dropoff provides a place for the 23 member institutions of the Great Plains Network to securely transmit large files between collaborators.

With the addition of this service, there are now 13 R&S SPs and 56 IdPs have indicated support for the R&S Category. A complete list of R&S services and the IdPs that support them is maintained on the InCommon web site.

Assurance Program Sets Migration Plan for Version 1.2

The InCommon Assurance Program recently (July 29, 2013) approved the migration plan for InCommon Identity Providers certified at version 1.1 to comply with 1.2 (the version that was approved in February 2013). No audit will be required. An FAQ with other details is on the Assurance wiki. To find out if you are affected, please review the list of certified Identity Provider Operators.

New Certificate Service Subscribers

InCommon Certificate ServiceThe InCommon Certificate Service now has 247 subscribers. We welcome these new members to the community.

  • Brandeis University
  • Florida A&M University
  • University of Maryland, Baltimore
  • University of Northwestern-St. Paul

New Participants

InCommon ParticipantsInCommon currently has 554 participants. We welcome these new participants to the InCommon community

Higher Education

Sponsored Partners

New Sponsored Partners

Box logoFounded in 2005, Box provides a secure content collaboration platform that both users and IT love and adopt. Content on Box can be shared internally and externally, accessed through iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone applications, among others, and extended to partner applications such as Google Apps and NetSuite as well as many education apps and tools. Box provides content management and collaboration to hundreds of schools, enabling students, faculty and administrators to work together in new ways. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.

Cirrus IdentityMany universities are looking for ways to allow parents, external research collaborators, prospective students, and others access campus services using existing social identities from providers like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Cirrus Identity, Inc, a new InCommon Sponsored Partner, is working with InCommon, the InCommon social identities workgroup, and a handful of interested campuses on social-to-SAML authentication services. Our goal is to provide a cloud-hosted, securely-managed, user-friendly gateway service. We are delighted to have joined InCommon, and grateful to Brown University for sponsoring our membership. To sign up for regular updates, please visit our website at http://cirrusidentity.com.

CounterMarchCounterMarch Systems is a service provider to over 80 colleges and universities, offering engagement-focused software for advancement and athletics. We joined InCommon to simplify the integration of our mobile apps, Reunion management software, and athletics recruitment CRM (Evercruit) with our campus partners. Our software is customized to meet each school's individual needs while managing complex and diverse constituent data in a user-friendly and efficient manner. Learn more at countermarch.com.

Publishing Technology logoPublishing Technology is the world-leading provider of content solutions that transform business. We cover the publishing process from end to end with content systems, audience development and content delivery software and services. Combining our unmatched publishing knowledge, global operations and perpetual support model with our advance operations system, ingentaconnect scholarly portal, pub2web custom hosting platform and PCG (Publishers Communication Group) sales and marketing consultancy, we offer the industry’s only full spectrum of solutions to help publishers move their content forward. Our 400+ clients include; AIP, ASM, the UN, John Benjamins, the IET, Brill, the OECD and ICE Publishing.

United Public SafetyUnited Public Safety, located in Pennsylvania, provides electronic enforcement solutions to colleges and universities throughout the United States. Our solution is Cloud based, thus there is a major cost savings over expensive server based solutions. We offer an array of ultra rugged, all in one hardware options and one, all inclusive, low monthly mobile fee. Feature rich and prepared to handle any size campus, we pride ourselves on exceptional 24/7 365 support. Want to learn more? Speak to our clients!

InCommon is operated by Internet2.

Internet2 logo

Social InCommon

August 14 IAM Online

CommIT – Simplifying Admissions
   IdM Problems
Weds., Aug. 14, 2013
| 3 pm ET | 2 pm CT | Noon PT |

Have you dreamed of the day when you don't need to create credentials for every applicant to your institution? Would you like a better way to accurately and automatically match the flood of scores, grades, recommendations, and financial aid packages to the correct student?

Those are the goals of the CommIT project, and the topic for the August 14 IAM Online. See the details and how to connect to this free webinar.

Upcoming Events

September 11, 2013 - IAM Online

September 16-17, 2013 - InCommon Shibboleth Installation Workshop - Portland, Oregon

October 21-22, 2013 - InCommon Shibboleth Installation Workshop - Omaha, Nebraska

November 11-15, 2013 - Identity Week- Burlingame, California

Featured InCommon Affiliate

MicrosoftGluu makes it easy and cost effective for an institution to implement single sign-on (SSO), strong authentication, and web access management. Based on Shibboleth and identity virtualization, Gluu’s on-premise solution is deployed quickly on the IAAS platform of your choice and is monitored 24×7 and supported by Gluu.

InCommon Affiliates The InCommon Affiliate Program connects higher education institutions with commercial or non-profit organizations that provide software, content, guidance, support, and implementation and integration services related to participating in the federation.

Internet2 logoThe InCommon Update is published for InCommon participants and other interested parties. InCommon is operated by Internet2. Send feedback or comments to .