announce - [InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - April 2012

Subject: News and information about InCommon Academy offerings

[InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - April 2012

  • From: Dean Woodbeck <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [InCommon] InCommon Newsletter - April 2012
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:34:47 -0400

Title: InCommon Newsletter - April 2012

Is this email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
InCommon Update header

April 2012

  • 2011 InCommon Community Accomplishments
  • InCommon Confab Program Released
  • First Research & Scholarship Services
  • New Federation Info Pages
  • Assurance Program Open for Business
  • New Certificate Service Subscribers
  • New Participants in February/March
2011 InCommon Community Accomplishments

InCommon EntitiesThere's a lot going on within InCommon, thanks to the priorities set by the Steering Committee, the innovations pushed by the Technical Advisory Committee, and the collaborations within the community. Steady growth continues, too, as do the methods we use for measurement. So take a few minutes and take a look at what our community accomplished in 2011. And thanks for being part of the success.

InCommon Confab Program Released

Register for the InCommon ConfabThe program for the InCommon Confab, April 26-27, 2012, includes:

  • three keynotes (Ian Glazer, Ken Klingenstein, and Anil John)
  • general sessions on the CommIT Collaborative and the Future of Federation Technology
  • several track sessions for those new to InCommon, and those with much experience in federated IdM

Plan to join us in Arlington, VA; register today.

First Research & Scholarship Services

Three services have become the first to join the new Research and Scholarship (R&S) category:

  • CILogon
  • Prototype GENI Identity Portal
  • Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee CGCA Wiki

The category makes onboarding simpler, with an IdP releasing a minimal set of attributes to the category. We also have a new dynamic web page listing the R&S services.

New Federation Info Pages

We've added a number of new features to our dynamic web pages that provide information about all of the services available through the federation.

Assurance Program Open for Business

InCommon Assurance ProgramThe kick-off webinar is history and the assurance program is open for business. More than 15 campuses intend to apply for Silver in 2012, anticipating applications from NIH, National Student Clearinghouse, and other service providers. Details at assurance.incommon.org.

New Certificate Service Subscribers

InCommon Certificate ServiceWelcome to new InCommon Certificate Service subscribers. These institutions bring the total to 154 subscribers:

  • Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
  • DePaul University
  • Oberlin College
  • University of California, Irvine
  • University of Dayton
  • University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
  • Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute

New Participants in February/March

As of the end of March, InCommon has 382 participants. We welcome these new participants to the InCommon community.

Higher Education

New Sponsored Partners

AT&T is a trusted technology provider to higher education institutions. We offer innovative and cost-effective technology solutions that can help drive student achievement and faculty effectiveness. AT&T is dedicated to supporting education with products and services that help institutions improve productivity both in and out of the classroom.

MedHub is a best-in-class, web-enabled enterprise medical education management solution developed to improve communication, collaboration, and residency information management. The MedHub system addresses critical functions that drive training program accreditation, physician training, Medicare reimbursement, affiliated institutional billing, FTE calculation, reporting, graduate and undergraduate medical education and audit response. Approximately one-third of our clients are already InCommon higher education participants. We plan to provide these institutions with seamless, single sign-on functionality for all of their users.

RightAnswers Unified Knowledge Platform for Higher Education is designed to address the unique challenges you face. For example, each year 25% of the user community is replaced, working with students as agents, supporting a plethora of hardware types and configurations. All of this leads to increased demands on the support team. These needs are compounded by the support needs of distance learning, faculty, and staff which all require easy access to solutions.

The RightAnswers addresses these needs with a unique combination of software, knowledge, knowledge automation and services specifically designed to help you manage and share knowledge. The platform, whether delivered via the Cloud or on-premise, allows you to build a more efficient service organization and deliver knowledge from throughout your enterprise to your end-users by combining powerful search, user-friendly interfaces, extensive content, and industry best practices.

Featured Events

April 12-13, 2012
Shibboleth Workshop Series

Columbia, Mo.

Registration is open (through April 9) for the Shibboleth installation workshops at the MOREnet offices in Columbia, Missouri.

April 26-27 - InCommon Confab
Arlington, Va.

Register today for day-and-a-half of sessions covering a broad range of topics related to federated identity, certificates, assurance, and who’s doing what. The Confab program is designed for those new to InCommon, as well as a track for seasoned veterans.

July 16-17, 2012
Shibboleth Workshop Series
Baltimore, Md.

Registration will open later this month for the installation workshops at UMBC.

New Affiliate

VASCO has joined the InCommon Affiliate Program. The company offers strong user authentication to faculty, students, and staff while helping them to move away from complex passwords and reducing helpdesk costs.

Featured Affiliates

Vasco offers solutions that support multi-factor authentication and are applicable to the InCommon Assurance Program.

Microsoft's identity and access management solution is built on Active Directory, a directory service in Windows Server, and also includes a number of technologies and services, including Active Directory Federation Services 2.0.

Internet2 logoThe InCommon Update is published for InCommon participants and other interested parties. InCommon is an LLC of Internet2. Send feedback or comments to .