ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: AD Silver Comment - AAC Response

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: AD Silver Comment - AAC Response

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] RE: AD Silver Comment - AAC Response
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 20:54:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ahh, further good point on your end. It starts making sense to me why 800-63-2 moved to password requirements around “absolute minimum entropy requirements plus fixed numbers of guesses per unit time”, as compared to the old “entropy divided by total guesses” rules. (I’m somewhat conflating the “online” (32ish bits of entropy) and “offline” (80 bits of entropy) guessing problems here, but it may be related…).

This is the kind of example I was thinking about (but couldn’t articulate) when I was grilling David and Ann on another list about how much newer NIST/FICAM guidelines might impact IAP planning.

--- Eric