ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] Re: [aac] Assurance Cookbook: January 2014 Comment Responses

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] Re: [aac] Assurance Cookbook: January 2014 Comment Responses

  • From: Warren Anderson <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] Re: [aac] Assurance Cookbook: January 2014 Comment Responses
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 07:43:17 -0700

Hi Eric,

Thanks to the workgroup for the thoughtful reply. I need to spend some
careful time with these, but my initial impression is that this clarifies my
concerns.

Cheers,
Warren

On Feb 21, 2014, at 23:48 , Eric Goodman

> Warren Anderson had made several comments (or asked several questions)
> regarding the penultimate draft of the Workbook, which is public. The
> Workgroup has responses prepared for these comments, but those comments
> were going to be released publicly at the same time the final draft is
> completed.
>
> We recognize that these responses are probably key context for your review
> of these interpretations, so attached here are Warren’s comments/questions,
> and the Workgroup’s not-yet-public response. Hopefully it provides helpful
> clarifications!
>
> --- Eric
>

> Original Comment (as reformatted on the “public comments” page)
>
> I have a question regarding 4.2.5 and 4.2.6. In those sections there are
> highlighted phrases that restrict the consideration of secure
> communications as part of the IdP authentication/assertion event. There are
> accompanying statements that all other traffic between the Subject and the
> AD DS is beyond scope.
> • Can I interpret that statement to imply that it is known that there
> is no practical way to leverage replay or eavesdropper attacks on non-IdP
> authentication events between the Subject and an AD DS to create an
> authentication event via the IdP?
> • For instance, what if I highjacked a password change
> session with the AD DS?
> • Or if I highjacked an authentication session that allowed
> access to a webmail system where password reset links are sent. Or similar
> sorts of escalation strategies?
> • Is it implied in the cookbook that none of these sorts of things
> can happen within the context of AD?
> • Or is there an implicit statement that these sorts of
> vulnerabilities should be beyond the scope of the IAP for Silver?
> If the latter, as an SP operator I would really downgrade my current view
> of what I would accept Silver for.
>
> Workgroup Response
>
> In the more general case we do not mean to imply that there is no feasible
> way to leverage or replay eavesdropper attacks on non-IdP authentication
> events to create an authentication event via the IdP. Our intent is to
> classify protocols into categories of risk:
> • Not resistant to recovery of users's authentication credential.
> I.e., could be attacked to allow recovery of the user's actual password.
> • These protocols are disallowed or must be monitored
> • Examples: Cleartext (plain LDAP), LM, NTLMv1
> • Resistant to recovery of the user's authentication credential
> (password), but perhaps less resistant to replay attacks.
> • These protocols are acceptable with non-IdP authentication
> events, but are recommended to be disabled for communications to the IdP
> (to avoid replay actually allowing an authentication event being "forged"
> via the IdP)
> • Examples: NTLMv2, Kerberos
> · Resistant to eavesdropping and replay.
> • These protocols are allowed in non-IdP and IdP
> authentication events alike.
> [...]

| PO Box 413, Dept. of Physics, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA |
| CANADA: (403) 617 6720 USA: (414) 212 5446 |