ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] Quick notes from the 10/4/2013 AD Assurance call

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] Quick notes from the 10/4/2013 AD Assurance call

  • From: Ron Thielen <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] Quick notes from the 10/4/2013 AD Assurance call
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 23:07:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I always thought of the requirement to encrypt the password store as belt and suspenders and someone’s attempt to mitigate multiple risks in fell swoop.  I’m not sure it adds a lot of value in an enterprise data center environment where, for example, we already maintain FISMA compliance.

If the intent is to protect the password store against a hack of the server using it, then you may well have bigger issues.  As Jeff suggests, if your domain controllers are that thoroughly p’wned then disk encryption may not help.

Likewise, if your physical security is so lax that someone can walk in, physically breach a domain controller, remove a hard drive, and walk out with it un-challenged, you’ve possibly got bigger issues.  Additionally, all but two of our AD DCs are virtualized, so our stores are on LUNs striped across multiple virtual arrays and intermingled at a block level with data from 100s of other servers.  If a drive were stolen, the thief would have the same problem I would have responding to an eDiscovery request to preserve a physical drive.  I don’t know how to do it.  You’d pretty much need to walk out with the whole subsystem, not a drive.  I realize that this is security through obscurity, but it’s still a fact.

If the issue is you don’t want the drives to wind up on eBay after the machine is serviced, that can be addressed by a media destruction policy and appropriate contracts with your vendors.  Our media destruction policy requires all data center disks to be checked into a disposal area when removed from service, then checked out when sent degaussing by our own techs.  I audit the policy annually, and we do follow through “clear to its destruction.”

It may have some value if your password store is replicated some place outside your control.  Then again, you probably have other issues to address in that instance too.

That all said, it’s still a requirement and I’m still trying to find a way to address it.

Ron