ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: Definitions for Authentication Secrets

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: Definitions for Authentication Secrets

  • From: "Capehart,Jeffrey D" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: Definitions for Authentication Secrets
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:42:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

A significant emphasis on the part of the alternative means statement should be towards “Strong Protection of Authentication Secrets”.  The interpretation being used as it applies to these specific authentication methods is helpful.  (See Eric’s 2nd email with interpretation for 4.2.3.6.2)

One problem to consider is that Bronze 4.2.3.5 says “don’t transmit plain-text passwords.”  Silver says “use a protected channel.”  LM Hash, NT Hash, NTLMv2 and Kerberos RC4-HMAC don’t meet protected channel, but they aren’t plain text either.  However, LM hash is so weak it might as well be plain text.  NTLM (V1) is stronger, and NTLMv2 & RC4-HMAC are better.

Ultimately, the minimum bar for Windows AD would need to be set at NTLMv2 & RC4 (RC4-HMAC) which although not being “approved algorithms” would be much better than a plain text password and better than the older weaker protocols.

I suppose it may not make much difference, but if the IdP <-> Verifier channel on the Shibboleth side uses a protected channel (such as LDAPS SSL/TLS), then for InCommon’s touching point with an IdP (with HTTPS), the spirit and letter of Silver is met.  The other protocols (NTLMv2, RC4-HMAC) would be used by the verifier only for other authentications that aren’t Shibboleth such as logging in to a Windows workstation, file share, server, database, etc.  The point here is that the non-approved algorithms would not be used when doing the Shibboleth/InCommon Profile verifications/authentications.  Therefore, if the risk of having a credential/authentication secret ‘learned’ from the internal side can be argued to be low, that could help support the alternative means statement.  For example, learning the secret may require network eavesdropping which could limit the risk to the IdP’s internal network rather than those protocols going across the whole Internet. Having switched networks and encrypted WiFi might help limit exposure on the internal network.

--Jeff C.