ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: AD Assurance Call Tomorrow

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: AD Assurance Call Tomorrow

  • From: "Capehart,Jeffrey D" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: AD Assurance Call Tomorrow
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:44:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

If anyone hasn’t read the alternative means proposal for Windows AD using NTLMv2 and RC4-HMAC, go check it out, but be sure to login to http://spaces.internet2.edu/ first.

Alternative Means for the Use of NTLMv2 and Kerberos with RC4-HMAC

https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/soB2Ag

An overall theme for the alternative means could probably be something like “Prefer Kerberos where possible; deploy NTLMv2 as the minimum authentication method.”

Here’s something recent that came out last week that may speak towards Microsoft updates to Windows, protocols, authentication, etc.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241622/Microsoft_moves_to_block_MD5_certificates_and_improve_RDP_authentication?taxonomyId=17

Microsoft moves to block MD5 certificates and improve RDP authentication

Windows optional security updates restrict use of MD5-based certificates and improve Remote Desktop Protocol network-level authentication

Also, it might be worth taking a look at this book or others similar for NTLM, syskey, and other details:

Mechanics of User Identification and Authentication:

Fundamentals of Identity Management (Google eBook, 2010)

http://books.google.com/books?id=eIPA4v0u05EC

Jeff C.