ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] VERY drafty alternative means statement

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] VERY drafty alternative means statement

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] VERY drafty alternative means statement
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 23:04:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Isn’t the IdP’s verifier the AD domain?

Or are you positing that it’s an “inclusive and”; i.e., only those authentication events that specifically include BOTH the IdP and the verifier? (So authentication events between IdP and AD, excluding all others…)

I’ve certainly had the broader assumption, and the entire AD cookbook (even before the Alternate Means discussion) is based on that assumption as well. Otherwise just setting up your IdP to use LDAPS for authentication and lookup would solve the entire 4.2.5 section.

As to what the intent was, I can’t speak to that, not having written it, but I do think there’s language that implies the broader applicability. Don’t think I’ll have a chance to look for that before I break for the day though…

--- Eric