ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] FW: Internet2 A/D Call on Fri July 26th

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] FW: Internet2 A/D Call on Fri July 26th

  • From: Ann West <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] FW: Internet2 A/D Call on Fri July 26th
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:18:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ann West
Assistant Director,
InCommon Assurance and Community
Internet2 based at Michigan Tech

office: +1.906.487.1726

From: Phil West <>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:02 PM
To: Ann West <>
Cc: Adrian Wilson <>, Lamont Harrington <>, Chris Irwin <>, Chris Niehaus <>, Bill Hagen <>
Subject: RE: Internet2 A/D Call on Fri July 26th

<dropping some extraneous folks>

Ann,

After reading your feedback – it sounds like these scenarios will spark some great conversation.  Learning more about the USE CASES will help me dig for answers that are more tailored to their needs.

After a quick read … here are some thoughts:

With regards to Q1a – since it refers to the “Protected Channels within Silver Level Assurance 4.2.3.6.1b” – I am assuming that this question arises from the secured channels between domain controllers running AD-DS?  It would be helpful to understand WHAT SERVER VERSIONS are in use – since older server versions have inherent software limitations, as do older CLIENT versions?  Is there a baseline that says something like “Silver Assurance requires member institutes to be running a minimum of Windows Server 2008 R2, and clients must be XPsp3 or higher”?   We did have some question about NTLMv1, which gave me some corner – given its age and support lifespan.  I am just worried that we have such a wide array of versions, and that may cause issues with pushing towards a higher encryption such as AES.

Good topic for discussion.

With regards to Q3 – you are seeking to use BitLocker Whole-Disk Encryption on the actual Domain Controller?   Would this be used on remote DC’s that you are worried about getting stolen somehow?  For those instances, using a Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC) on WS08 Core installation with BitLocker is a suitable scenario.  For this situation, would the RODC hardware have a TPM chip or do they plan to use a BitLocker PIN upon startup?  Otherwise leaving the BitLocker USB Key installed sort of defeats the security angle.  What happens if a power reset needs to happen, or a remote reboot?

If the question stems from trying to insure that the AD-DS store of credentials are somehow encrypted twice (once by AD-DS, and again by BitLocker) – I don’t believe that is a valid situation.  BitLocker would prevent an offline theft of data assets (someone stole the server, ripped out the drives and tried to examine them), but once the DC is booted and running, then the credentials are not doubly-protected by BitLocker.

Another good topic for discussion.

As for Q4 – credentials are cached from AD onto a local client device – when that user logs into that client device and AD confirms the credentials.  That’s what allows a user to login subsequently, using the AD credentials, even when there is no network connection back to AD.  (This is often why, after changing your password in AD, it is best to LOCK and the UNLOCK your Windows machine – that keys the credential cache to happen.)  As far as other SERVICES that might have credentials cached – the Windows Azure Active Directory structure supports (excuse the very basic analogy) a “cloud version” of your Active Directory data (the storage mechanism, tree structure and access controls are different – but the idea is similar).  This is like the methodology for syncing credentials for Office365 users.  So, YES< there are Services that can be used to store credentials.

If the question is more along the lines of – “is Microsoft somehow remembering or storing credential data on other services, like maybe DreamSpark, etc.” – then that actually triggers our PII scenario (personally identifiable information).  Details about Microsoft privacy can be obtained at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.mspx.

Also a great topic for clarification and discussion.

I look forward to joining the call on Friday, along with my colleagues.

-Phil