ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] Notes from last Friday's (6/21/2013) AD Assurance call

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] Notes from last Friday's (6/21/2013) AD Assurance call

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] Notes from last Friday's (6/21/2013) AD Assurance call
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:27:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

FWIW, it’s HMAC_MD5 used in NTLMv2, not HMAC_RC4 [1]. (I think I’ve been saying that wrong.) (Kerberos does frequently use HMAC_RC4)

Both Kerberos[2] and NTLMv2[1] use the user password as the key for encrypting/hashing (respectively) other data used for user authentication, and this encrypted/hashed data is what’s on the wire. So again, the password is not itself included or encrypted/hashed in the communication, but brute force password guessing against the information on the network may be possible. Given that the data being encrypted in the on-the-wire packet is known, and you have the ciphertext, you can repeat the encryption/hashing operation with all possible passwords looking to get a match to the credentials that are online in an offline attack. (This is where the 2^80 operations language probably applies – how many operations does it take to brute force one password, times the entropy of the password).

So re-reading everything, I believe the concern calling out Kerberos in 800-63-2 is NOT the encryption algorithm (though that may be a separate problem) but that the authentication information itself is encrypted directly with the user’s password in a known manner. That is, even if AES was used, it’s used in a known way that’s brute-forceable.

I also read a bunch about Kerberos Armoring/FAST [3], and it’s clear that this technology is intended to protect Kerberos somewhat against offline brute-forcing of credentials, but as I read it (and here I’m very unclear whether I’ve read it right), Armoring/FAST protects against TGT-request-based attacks and not eavesdropping.

In normal Kerberos, any client can request a TGT for a user, which is delivered encrypted by the user’s password. In this way, Kerberos allows any attacker to request attackable credentials (i.e., they don’t have to eavesdrop on a client, just ask for credentials)[4]. When Armoring/FAST is used, the KDC will not return a TGT to the client unless the TGT request itself is successfully encrypted with the user password. That implies to me that an attacker cannot just ask the KDC for a ticket and mount an attack, but should an attacker eavesdrop on the FAST-TGT request, they still have a packet they can brute force attack.

Don’t know that any of this helps us, but the more I read this, the more I think this isn’t an “approved algorithm” for protecting the password issue, but is instead an issue of whether the protocol itself exposes the password in a way that is practical/impractical to attack.

--- Eric

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLM#NTLMv2

[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4120

[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6113