ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: US-CERT as an authority on security - for alternative means - on NTLMv2

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: US-CERT as an authority on security - for alternative means - on NTLMv2

  • From: "Capehart,Jeffrey D" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: US-CERT as an authority on security - for alternative means - on NTLMv2
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 15:08:46 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

That is my understanding as well, although I wasn’t aware of MS-CHAPv2 breaking with level 5.

CERT is offering guidelines for being better secured in the future, so in 60-90 days those old LM hashes would be worthless… unless someone has an obvious pattern in their passwords like a base word plus a special character that probably stays the same and a number on the end that probably goes up in sequence so that the “next password” is fairly predictable, even 20 attempts later.

Related topic:  So, what can you say about WPA2 network authentication using AES encryption and EAP-MSCHAPv2 with EAP type either PEAP or TTLS?

If 802.1x authentication goes over an encrypted session established at time of connection, would that be safe enough (or at least compliant?) or is there additional information needed?

Jeff