ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: 4.2.5.1 update

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: 4.2.5.1 update

  • From: Brian Arkills <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: 4.2.5.1 update
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:19:27 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Here's some material for the Kerberos follow-up.

http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-09/Bouillon/BlackHat-Europe-09-Bouillon-Taming-the-Beast-Kerberous-whitepaper.pdf discusses the various security issues known for Kerberos as of 2009. The techniques discussed there include "KDC spoofing" which requires that the Kerberos enabled service doesn't do the full exchange it should do, a replay attack which uses a sniffed AP exchange in a later TGS attack against the Kerberos enabled service involved in that AP exchange, and a "pass the ticket" attack which combines the two in a Windows environment to get a TGS. There is also some discussion of user impersonation attacks to get a TGT, but it's pretty clear that the Windows implementation is safe from this, although given elevated access on a single domain-joined computer, it is possible to steal & re-use a "computer's" principal and use it to enumerate domain resources.

http://csis.bits-pilani.ac.in/faculty/sundarb/courses/old/spr06/netsec/evals/project/projrefs/kerb/AIWSC03_kerberos_replay_attacks.pdf was the other Kerberos attack paper I had previously dug up. It discusses the very same replay attack discussed in the blackhat paper above, except in a more understandable form, and in more detail.

So these attacks can result in a TGS, but not a TGT. Put together in the "pass the ticket" attack, they constitute a man-in-the-middle profile. There are replay elements, but the replay elements by themselves can't result in a TGT. Likewise, there are eavesdropper elements, but those can't result in a TGT either. I don't see any issue worth noting as a gap here for the context of 4.2.5.1 or 4.2.5.2, except for one very specific scenario: AD is the IdP, and the TGS which is attacked involves the IdP token issuing service.

I'm certain that RFC4120 (FAST or Kerberos armoring)--as implemented in WS2012 DCs--would mitigate that very specific scenario. There may be other mitigations or it's possible that with a closer analysis this scenario isn't actually vulnerable.

In the interest of sending this today before the weekend, I'm not evaluating whether that risk is negligible before sending this email. :)

In summary, I think we can claim Kerberos is resistant in both 4.2.5.1 & 4.2.5.2, but there is still that very specific scenario that needs a bit more thought/examination.