ad-assurance - RE: [AD-Assurance] Proposed Alternative Means for End-User Use of Non-Compliant Technologies - DRAFT

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

RE: [AD-Assurance] Proposed Alternative Means for End-User Use of Non-Compliant Technologies - DRAFT

  • From: "Capehart,Jeffrey D" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [AD-Assurance] Proposed Alternative Means for End-User Use of Non-Compliant Technologies - DRAFT
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:31:27 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Additional word-smithing suggestions:

"When compliance with a specific requirement in the IAP depends on a Subject's behavior, and preventing that behavior from occurring is not practical, it is acceptable to comply through the use of a monitoring and mitigation program that detects non-compliant behavior and revokes the Subject's eligibility for affected profiles within 72 hours.”

On the monitoring program, an automated monitoring & revocation would certainly be preferable to manual monitoring, but perhaps a mix of automated monitoring and manual revocation (by any one member of a team of more than one) might be ok too.

One aspect that does not appear to be addressed is that if the credential is to be considered compromised (maybe the attacker now knows your password), then there does not appear to be a remediation that includes requiring the user to change their password.  Making the user change their password every time it is potentially exposed would be a good motivator to make them try to figure out a way to resolve so that they can be recertified.

If the user is re-certified without requiring a password change, then is the additional risk truly mitigated?

In consideration of the AM proposal against the AM guidelines/requirements,

1.       Cites which specific components are being addressed?  NO

2.       The reason for proposal (intent)?        YES

3.       Which risks are exposed here and how mitigated?  NO (vague risks – non protection of passwords, non-compliance with IAP)

4.       Specific text for IdPO management? SOME

5.       Includes documentation? NO – but may be specific to a particular implementation method

Jeff