ad-assurance - Re: [AD-Assurance] RE: Various links of interest

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

Re: [AD-Assurance] RE: Various links of interest

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To:
  • Cc: DHW <>
  • Subject: Re: [AD-Assurance] RE: Various links of interest
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:44:25 -0800

Eric,

The Definitions and Abbreviations section of 800-63-1 defines "Approved" as "Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) approved or NIST recommended. An algorithm or technique that is either 1) specified in a FIPS or NIST Recommendation, or 2) adopted in a FIPS or NIST Recommendation. "  I hadn't been aware of a definitive list, but Annex A does look like a reasonable list.  The link where I found everything for 140-2, including Annex A, is:

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/standards.html

One correction to your summary:  My reading of 800-63-1 is that LoA 1 doesn't stipulate the use of an Approved Algorithm to mitigate the risks of tampering and disclosure of stored credentials, only LoA 2 does.  The LoA 1 requirement for credential storage is:

"Credential storage – Files of shared secrets used by Verifiers at Level 1 authentication shall be protected by access controls that limit access to administrators and only to those applications that require access. Such shared secret files shall not contain the plaintext passwords; typically they contain a one-way hash or “inversion” of the password. In addition, any method allowed for the protection of long-term shared secrets at Level 2 or above may be used at Level 1."

Someone with more knowledge of AD than I would need to confirm this, but I suspect AD doesn't have any problem with credential storage at Level 1.

David