assurance - Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 13:00:00 -0700

Intentionally skipping the DDoS part of the question:

I much prefer actual counting of login attempts. By my math, unless you require really complex passwords (beyond some of the basic standards you'll typically see), a very slow but persistent attack could theoretically compromise an account relatively quickly. E.g., even 2 failed logins per hour adds up to 1 in 2^14 pretty darned fast.

To avoid forcing user to make password changes -- which is somewhat generally agreed to introduce its own security risks -- tracking the total number rather of failures seems much more user-friendly than assuming attacks are occurring at the theoretical maximum speed (even taking into account any delays, etc).

Note that I didn't answer what we ARE doing. I think that's still up in the air.

--- Eric