assurance - [Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs

  • From: "Martin B. Smith" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Assurance] Question about technical implementation of Silver IAQs on Shibboleth IdPs
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:18:19 -0400

Hello all,

I have a specific question as it relates to our implementing the release of an AuthnContext class for silver. It's more of a SAML2 question than a Shibboleth specific one.

UF falls into the following case (from InCommon.org's assurance wiki):

"A deployment in which all users authenticate in a common way regardless of assurance level, such as a case in which all passwords are managed so as to meet InCommon Silver requirements. Users may or may not all be proofed at a level that meets a single assurance standard, but the authentication step is the same."

My big question is:

By including a silver IAQ (http://id.incommon.org/assurance/silver) as an AuthnContext class, it seems our SPs lose the ability to determine how the user authenticated (since for us, Silver doesn't imply two factor). Right?

Silver (for us) doesn't have anything to do with how the user authenticated (it could be a previous session, a username and password, etc). Some folks here think that we should simply assert an AuthnContext class of the silver IAQ if someone's identity is silver. Doesn't this make it also sometimes impossible to tell at an SP if a request included ForceAuthn was honored? Or impossible for the SP to tell if SSO was used?

It seems like always asserting an assurance/IAQ value as our authncontext class means we lose almost all of the value of authncontext classes, especially when the IAQs don't imply anything about how the principal authenticated to the attribute authority.

Does that also break any other functionality in SAML that you all can think of?

Thanks in advance,
--
Martin B. Smith

- (352) 273-1374